Tuesday, February 25, 2014

French Breakfast Puffs ~

Alas...here in all of it's splendid isolation is the last French Breakfast Puff.

I made a fresh batch the other morning and the rest are all gone, far too yummy to be hanging around for very long ~ these are really addictive. (Actually I didn't eat them all, I have a little restraint, some I gave away; I shared the calories so to speak.)


What makes this recipe so appealing is not only the deliciousness of the puffs but the ease of which they are made and the ingredients, which everyone usually has in their pantry. 

Because I can't share a freshly baked one with you I decided to give you the recipe, one of those 'old-timey' ones that has held up over time. It is from the Betty Crocker Cookbook, remember her? Mine is tattered and falling apart but I still use some of the recipes, including this one.

~ French Breakfast Puffs ~

Mix together thoroughly...
1/3 C soft shortning
1/2 C sugar
1 egg

Sift together...
1 1/2 Cups sifted flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Stir in alternately with...
1/2 C milk

Fill greased muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake in 350 degree oven 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.
Immediately roll in...
6 tbsps melted butter ( if using salted butter eliminate salt in batter)
then in a mixture of 1/2 C sugar
1 tsp cinnamon.

 Then sit down and enjoy!

These are quick and easy for a special morning treat, rather like a cake doughnut...of course you can also eat them at other times of the day, like I said they are rather addictive.


Bon appétit
 
This post has been linked to: http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/
 
 

12 comments:

  1. Hello Adrienne,

    Gosh, your breakfast puffs look mouth-wateringly delicious. But why breakfast? As far as we can see (which is not very these days as we are incredibly short-sighted) these puffs look irresistible for any hour of the day......or night for that matter. We are not surprised that they were eaten the moment they emerged from the oven in all their lusciousness.

    But, darling Adrienne, we are totally useless in the kitchen and even with Betty Crocker herself holding our hands we could not make such puffs to save our lives. Please may we come round to yours when you have your next baking session. We are just a flight away.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those older receipes are often gold. These certainly look yummy enough to be addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I had a couple right now - they look so yummy. Betty Crocker has some wonderful recipes in her book - they are timeless. Thanks so much for sharing with us.
    Yea yea, we are getting rain starting tomorrow, I can hardly wait, maybe I will dance in the garden in my nightgown LOL
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it does rain it will definitely be a dancing and bottle of champagne celebration...keep your fingers crossed...my newly planted roses will be very happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks wonderful...I think I drooled a little! Have a great day...I am out gardening today...hoping the rain will get here soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, do you use Crisco? Or can we substitute butter for the shortening?

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, do you use Crisco? Or can we substitute butter for the shortening?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Crisco, you could try using butter, or half and half. I usually always have a can of Crisco kicking around, I use it for chocolate chip cookies too, it helps keep them soft. And of course for the occasional pastry crust.

      Delete
  8. Absolutely delicious. I would have a hard time sharing them. Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you for the recipe -- those look delicious!

    ReplyDelete

If you enjoyed this post and you would like to see more please sign up to be a follower.