Monday, July 19, 2010

Spring Revisited



"Sweet spring, full of sweet days and roses,
A box where sweets compacted lie"
Victor Herbert

Summer heat hit Southern California with a vengeance last week. With temperatures in the triple digit range many plants are struggling just to stay alive. Watering has become extremely important and hopefully plants have been selected for the garden to deal with our Mediterranean climate: plants with interesting foliage; low watering needs and brightly colored flowers that can stand out against the intense summer sun...no quiet pastels now!

It is with this in mind and maybe in an attempt to cool off a bit, that I harkened back to some of the photographs I had taken of flowers in my spring garden this year. For the summer one selects plants that will flourish in adversity. But as I remember Jan Smithen,author of Sun-Drenched Gardens: the Mediterranean style and gardening instructor extraordinaire saying once in class: "spring takes care of its self".

3 comments:

  1. HOW DO YUR PUT TOGETHER A MONTAGE OP PHOTOS,,, I MUST LEARN, SO ARE YOU LEARING BLOGGING INFO OR ARE YOU STICKING ARIUND HELPING JUAN>>
    OUT LONDO OST STARTS TOMORROW....

    SEE YOU THEN..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the mosaic photograph! Much more interesting than a series of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry about all the misspellings... I was so tired & I posted the July 19th comment from John's computer... He didn't post nor would he misspell so many words. Plus - I didn't have my glasses on and I couldn't see very well - even using all CAPS...
    Tried to delete the post but wasn't able to...
    Arrived safely - flat is cozy... it's warm but not unbearable... more later.

    ReplyDelete

If you enjoyed this post and you would like to see more please sign up to be a follower.