First I made a pattern by wrapping a piece of tissue paper around the form of the shade. For the new cover I used a bit of silk fabric left over from the drapes I have been making for this room.
Now is where you can get creative, I chose to add a ruffle of contrasting fabric whichI folded and gathered to go around the base of the finished shade. I always make ruffles using the zig-zag stitch on my sewing matching, stitching over crochet thread...this makes it so easy to gather the ruffles ~ no breaking of thread, you just pull the ends. Of course there are all kinds of purchased trims that you could use.
I attached the fabric to the shade using a spray adhesive and then with my handy glue gun I applied the ruffle and used a decorative gimp to cover the raw edges. And....voila! this is the result.
What do you think...pretty, n'est pas. And really so easy to do!
This post has been linked to: http://frenchcountrycottage.blogspot.com/