Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Digaplexis and hot summer days ~


It has been mercilessly hot this week, temperatures reaching 100 degrees everyday. This makes it very difficult to get much done in the garden. I am continually amazed that any plant can survive the heat, but surprisingly some continue to do so.

 I have found the best way to cope is to get out early, around  6:30 am before it starts to heat up. I work in the garden a couple of hours, come in and eat breakfast and then collapse until it starts to cool off in the evening.

 Even Miss Twiggley's routine has changed with the season, sleeping during the day, stalking the house at night, looking for bugs to play with and when she really gets bored, leaping on the bed and attempting to get me to wake up and play.

I do get other tasks accomplished but the hot weather is so energy sapping that even inside chores seem to take longer. A good book and a nap seem to be the best way to while away the hot afternoon hours and I am fortunate to be able to do so - but not without a little guilt.


But in spite of all my complaining things are happening in the garden. It is really too hot to plant most things but I did find this wonderful Digaplexis plant that I couldn't resist. It is a cross between garden foxglove and perennial isoplexis canareiensis. 

I had first seen these last year but they were quite expensive and in large containers. I found these this week in gallon containers at Home Depot and I simply couldn't resist. They are also available at Annie's Annuals. Foxgloves are one of my favorite flowers and any improved variety would be great especially if they turn out to be perennials in my climate zone.


I have decided to situate them in a partially shady area where they will get filtered sun. It is too hot to plant them now but it is supposed to cool off a little at the end of the week so I am waiting until then to put them in the ground.




These are so pretty I really hope that they grow well for me, if so I will definitely be getting more next year.

Wish me luck!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PS.  The flowers in my header are Oakleaf Hydrangeas. These were cut as fresh flowers. Oakleaf hydrangeas grow well for me, much better than other hydrangeas which I never seem to have enough of. Until this year I hadn't thought of trying to dry them but I had them in such abundance that I gave it a try and they dried perfectly. I think they are going to make a lovely addition to dried bouquets. If you have some you might want to give it a try. I just dried them by the hanging method - away from light, in a closet.



8 comments:

  1. That sounds like a much easier method of drying the hydrangeas than others I've heard. Can you write some time about what you do with the dried flowers...I.e., how to use them? Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    I tried to send you a link to a post I did on a dried bouquet for the living room last winter, but it didn't go through. Basically, I make flower arrangements, usually large ones to put in places that need a real statement piece. I know that I will be doing more of these in the future. You can of course make smaller arrangements or even nosegays. It's really open to all kinds of uses for places that benefit from flowers but not the inconvenience and cost of replacing them every few days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Foxgloves are one of my favorite plants also and the hummers love them. I can't seem to keep hummer food in their feeders as I now have a family of the black and gold birds drinking out of them. In researching them they do like the hummer food.

    I am off to Home depot tomorrow and see if they have the plants that you purchased.

    I agree with you I am useless also, even with the A/c on it's just to darn hot.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adrienne, those oak leaf hydrangeas are so beautiful. I just love your photography. I love that new plant too. They look so large and full for a gallon size can. I have tried to grow foxgloves here but either I didn't plant in the right place or it was too hot. We are in zone 9 and I wouldn't think it was any hotter here that where you are, but maybe it was too cold in winter?? I need to study up more on plants and their habits..Have a wonderful week and stay cool! Haha..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your new header is simply glorious!
    Perfect in every way...so lush.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a very beautiful garden! I enjoyed reading through your recent posts. I grew Digiplexus a couple of years ago--it bloomed like mad for months...would just say to watch out for mealy bugs on the backs of the leaves in late summer/early autumn--mine got a terrible infestation and had to be removed. Heard the same thing from other people in So Cal.

    Happy Gardening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment and for the tip on the mealy bugs, I will keep an eye out for them. I don't ever use pesticides, usually just let nature take its course. I hope that they do well, they are so pretty!

      So nice to communicate with another Southern California gardener.

      Delete

If you enjoyed this post and you would like to see more please sign up to be a follower.