Friday, August 3, 2018

Summer heat ~


This has been a very discouraging summer in Southern California for a gardener. The heat has been constant and relentless. Over one weekend the temperatures reached 120 degrees, literally burning the leaves on plants, even established trees and shrubs succumbed. Watering can only do so much when the rays of the sun are so intense.

But instead of showing you my poor burnt plants I am going to share one that doesn't seem to be affected and looks as good this year as any - Crepe Myrtle.



These lovely trees seem to ignore the extreme heat; they have no burnt foliage and are in full bloom.

I have two Pink Pagoda Crepe Myrtle trees, one in the front garden, above and one in the back garden bordering the pond. 


When everything else is looking so exhausted and damaged at least this is one spot of beauty that I can look upon.

Crepe Myrtles come in various varieties, including shrubby types I have been testing one in my garden called, Early Bird White, it has performed well and I plan on planting more of them this fall to replace less heat tolerant shrubs.



Gardens, like life, are always changing. There is no denial that our weather is getting much hotter. This means that I as a gardener must adapt. I am compiling a list of plants that can withstand the higher temperatures and intense sun with the intention to make changes that will allow my garden to still look lush and thrive.

Wish me luck!

And, thank you for visiting

8 comments:

  1. Hope all goes well with your new plantings. Crepes grown well here in Texas and are a lovely tree or bush.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crepe Myrtles are such wonderful shrubs for the heat. I have always had them but this is the first year my California Red, it is called hasn't bloomed. The Japanese beetles have munched the buds. It's still pretty and green in some areas but those hateful beetles. I have had them on plants this year I have never had them on in the past.
    My heavens, if the temps there are 120, what in the world is the heat index? Terribly miserable for sure.
    Stay cool inside and hope relief from such high temperatures comes soon.
    betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crepe myrtles are absoulute favorites here in the south. There are types of different varieties for every application. We line main highways with them. Some are massive, some middling, some diminutive. Then there are the colors! I love their beautiful winter bark also. Enjoy your new plants and stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adrienne, wow you have had some hot weather. We just got back from the coast and it was beautiful down there and the heat is not as bad here today as it was before we left. I think my crepe myrtle must be the same as yours, at least it is the same pink color. One across the street is in full bloom now, but ours is just budding out. We seem to be in our own little "zone" in our yard as everything is much slower than the neighbors. You are so knowledgeable about gardening (and it shows) that I'm sure you will not have any trouble adjusting, as I think all of us in this world will have to do sooner than later!..Happy Sunday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, gardening has definitely become more of a challenge with the changing weather. I have always had a drought tolerant garden with mostly native plants, but I also was quite successful with non-natives which are more at home in an English garden. And some "guaranteed to last" plants simply died. It's a lot trial and error gardening here, but I also enjoy it. Your Crepe Myrtles look beautiful. I've noticed that the ones in my neighborhood look good, so perhaps this is a good choice for our climate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's miserable in Texas too :^(. The Crepe's love it....pass them a drink every couple of days and they will bloom their little hearts out! We have an OLD monstrous pale pink one, a middle aged talllll pink one and an 8' shrubby variety that is hot pink. They are all quite happy in the hot sun!!
    Your garden is awesome. I am not a gardener, and do well to keep up with potted plants on the patio :^) I too am thankful for anything that takes care of itself!!
    Blessings,
    J
    PS: chin skritches to Miss Twiggley. Princess Posie says hello too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wondering if you know of the plant that's nicknamed the Mexican Petunia? I have some that thrive in the rock bed with the hot, hot Texas sun beating down. Sorry I can't remember the exact name, but I could try to find it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. cheap jimmy choo trainers, combining elegant style and cutting-edge technology, a variety of styles of cheap women jimmy choo trainers, the pointer walks between your exclusive taste style.

    ReplyDelete

If you enjoyed this post and you would like to see more please sign up to be a follower.