Monday, January 6, 2014

A simple solution ~

After all of the holiday decorations have been taken down everything looks so bare!
 
The shelf under this window in the media/library room looked particularly drab and boring, definitely it needed a little perking up. I really wanted something fresh and natural to enliven the space. So...
 
 
...although I have very few flowers in the garden this time of year, I do have lots of succulents ~ I shopped the garden and put together this arrangement of cuttings in an old soup tureen. I lined the tureen first with plastic to protect it and added potting soil.

 
A few books, a Corday bird figure and voila, it's complete.

 
And one of the best parts: this simple succulent arrangement will last through several months, the cuttings will eventually root and I can plant them back out in the garden ~ a complete win-win! 

 
I am so pleased with this that I think I will do another one for the dining room table. I love it when something is so easy...and free!
 
What do you think?
 

10 comments:

  1. It's perfect. Your home is just lovely and I always enjoy your special vignettes. It's blowing and drifting snow outside in MI with bitter windchills. Your sunny weather is a welcome contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's brilliant, and I am eyeing a little red transferware tureen...........

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I love succulents but have very few of them in my garden...but then there is always a trip to the nursery to remedy that problem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea, especially for this time of year. It looks so pretty in the soup tureen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your vignette on the window - looks so pretty. Yes, you are right everything does look dull after the decorations are gone. Now getting the house cleaned and a few decorations. I found some beautiful red roses in the back yard that I cut and brought into the house to perk it up a little. It's amazing how just a few flowers make you feel so good.
    Have a great week.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that this whole arrangement is lovely. And the window is amazing too. It must be amazing, at any time of year.

    You are so right, about the drabness of after-Holiday-decorations-come-down. -sigh- I really have to get into the mood, to take all of them down. A mood, which wants to welcome less, less, less...

    Happy 2014!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so pretty! I love to create little vignettes around our apartment. Succulents are a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm jealous of those who live somewhere
    that anything is growing outdoors

    your solution of succulents
    is just perfect for chasing away
    the post-holiday blahs!

    Fridays Unfolded is back
    and i would love for you
    to stop by and join in!

    Alison
    Nancherrow (formerly Stuff and Nonsense)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous view to compliment your beautiful arrangement…just love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my stars, what a lovely view!! It looks like something out of a magazine. Well done!! Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete

If you enjoyed this post and you would like to see more please sign up to be a follower.