Wednesday, August 27, 2014

The lure of boxes ~

With summer ending, and autumn approaching with all of  the up-coming holidays I have been a little obsessed with boxes.

It all started out with the photo below. This is a box my daughter put together as Christmas centerpiece for her table. She has since used it for lots of other occasions. It is just the right size to hold two pony packs of annuals, and when it isn't being used for holiday decor she often fills it this way for an instant bouquet and then later plants the flowers. 


I really wanted one but to get a box with the dimensions I desired I would need to make one.

So...

...off to Home Depot where I purchased one 1x6x8 foot piece of pine. I Cut it to size and nailed it together. By the way, as it turned out boxes aren't that easy to make...at least not on the first try.


But with a little effort I got it together... 


I decided to stain it and as I wanted an industrial/rustic look the corner braces and old drawer pulls I found in the barn added just the right details.


Voila!

For right now, for your benefit I filled it with some things I had around the house but what I am really looking forward to using it as a centerpiece on my dining room table with autumnal decorations and then for Christmas, filled with ornaments and maybe some little trees.


Now I must get busy and make another one because as it turned out this is a bit too big for my kitchen table, and I would like one to use in there too. if this keeps up I will soon be an expert...maybe I will ad some stencils to the next one. That might look good.

Has the box craze captured your attention, if so there are some wonderful inspirations for using them on Pinterest.

Have fun!
 
this post has been linked to: http://ivyandelephants.blogspot.com/

10 comments:

  1. I love it and thanks for the tutorial, I think I will make one, it's perfect!
    Thank you so much for sharing.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! I don't know that I would tackle a box, but this is inspiring. I can see that it will be a favourite design element, season after season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really made a very pretty box and oh the things you can do with it. I like the finished
    product with all the pretties in it. Great job!
    Thanks so much for sharing.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Adrienne,

    Amazing!

    If one cannot find exactly what one wants, well do it for yourself. Clearly you are a woman with a mission and the result is wonderful. So many possible uses and the finishes can match any number of different purposes. Clever you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ai too luv boxes on the table :) But to build one... you have me on that one. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great box!!! We built one for my table a couple of years ago, and it is a prized possession. I stained it dark and then waxed it...I change it on any whim and made a burlap table runner to line it. It also sits on a burlap runner that has long hand tied fringe. As we speak it has antique blue canning jars, battery powered candles with timers and huge sunflowers. When the candles come on at dusk, it is truly a sight to see. I have used LOTS of different décor in the box...it is a treasure!!
    Blessings to you,
    J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: I forgot to mention that the odd vintage wooden sewing machine drawer makes a perfect sized "box" for smaller areas! My big box is 40" x 6", so the smaller drawer comes in handy in other scenario.

      Delete
  7. Aren't you talented! I love this idea and I can't wait to see all your seasonal decor in your boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your box, and it does make a great centerpiece filled with seasonal goodies!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love boxes, too. Yours is so nice. Looking forward to seeing your next box and all the things you do with it.
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete

If you enjoyed this post and you would like to see more please sign up to be a follower.