Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Alternatives ~

It's time to think about planting summer vegetables. 

I have an enclosed potager with raised beds where I usually plant vegetables but with our severe drought and watering restrictions I decided to leave it fallow this year.

As an alternative...


I am going to incorporate a few vegetables into the border below the deck. (I can't resist sowing a few of my favorite zinnia seeds too...aren't zinnias vegetables?)

Here it is last winter with lettuce but it should work well with summer vegetables too.


 The massed planting of Stock will be replaced by  pole beans, eggplants and summer squash. 


My new edging will be bush beans,


Tomatoes, I only bought determinate varieties to save space, plus one cherry tomato, will find homes
among the roses and boxwood.


The best part is this is all right outside my kitchen door, for the first time I will have a real kitchen garden!

Meanwhile I am praying mightily for rain!

11 comments:

  1. Bonjour chère amie,

    Quel plaisir que de vous accompagner dans votre jardin...
    Je suis certaine qu'il doit être très agréable de déguster les légumes de sa propre production.
    ❀ ♡ Gros bisous ♡ ❀

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all sounds (and looks) wonderful, Adrienne! I love mixing flowers & veggies together in the same garden. Enjoy!
    ~ Lin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing for rain for you too! Your plans sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your gardening plans look wonderful. How fun to have a kitchen garden. Prayers for rain. We have more than enough that I would be willing to share with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of mixing vegetables with flowers in the garden beds.
    I wonder if you could reroute your bath or shower water to help water the garden? Several people in the garden club have done this to great success.
    Hope you do get some rain soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have already done this, but thank you very much for the suggestion.

      Delete
  6. Hello Adrienne,

    This is a timely reminder to us all about the precious resource of water and how we should all do our best to conserve it wherever and whenever possible.

    To mix your flowers and vegetables is not only sensible but can be so attractive. It's a great alternative and should provide plenty of homegrown goodies right at the door. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you do such a beautiful job, the vegetables will probably be as pretty as your flowers. Love your little kitchen garden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love creative ways to have a kitchen garden. I think your plan is great! Can't wait to see it when it's producing for you.
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, we all pray for rain, I guess. I'm going to plant a few vegetables as well, but probably not quite as many as I used to do. However, I do need a few tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini and peppers. Homegrown food is so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Having your veggies right off the kitchen is a great idea. I really like when people mix flowers and vegetables. I hope you get your rain!

    ReplyDelete

If you enjoyed this post and you would like to see more please sign up to be a follower.