Wednesday, February 15, 2017

What's blooming ~

Clean up in the garden continues. Our abundance of rain has been wonderful but has limited working outside. And, with all of the lovely rain comes lots and lots of lovely weeds, resulting in quite a bit more work.

Still I am very appreciative to see what appears to be an end to our drought. The garden appreciates this too and with all of the extra moisture I anticipate an amazing spring this year.

So, although the garden is still quite bare I thought I would share what is blooming, starting with  Alstroemerias. 

I have been noticing that the clumps were especially vigorous this year and today when I went out to work, next to the stairs leading down from the deck, I found these first blooms. Alstromerias pop up everywhere in my garden, they have naturalized and spread into in the most unexpected places but always welcome for their vigor and the flowers which are extraordinary for cutting. Every year it is a pleasure to see them coming into bloom.


This charming clump of daisies  under an old apple tree in the front garden have been blooming for several weeks. Last summer I thought the intense heat had done them in but they survived  and make me happy every time I walk by them. I love daisy-type flowers and really need to plant more of them.


 In the back gravel garden the lantana and rosemary make a nice combination. I use quite a bit of lantana in the garden but this one is the only one blooming now - the rest have been cut back and are just beginning to show green growth.


Finally, in my little tour are the camellias. The white camellias are in full glory. I have lots of different camellias but these old fashion, large white ones are definitely my favorite.


In a couple of weeks the bulbs should start blooming and some of the early roses. This is really my favorite time as a gardener - pruning back, cleaning up and then the anticipation of what will follow...how will the new roses perform; will all of the bulbs I planted last fall make a good showing; have I lost anything over the winter months...all questions to be answered with time. The Garden is a never ending source of learning, beauty and satisfaction.

I hope you have a lovely day.

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful it all is, Adrienne. The camellias are lovely. We are seeing the first of them here now and soon there will be big, blowsy blooms in most front gardens. I am so glad to hear that you have had a good amount of rain!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How beautiful it all is, Adrienne. The camellias are lovely. We are seeing the first of them here now and soon there will be big, blowsy blooms in most front gardens. I am so glad to hear that you have had a good amount of rain!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness we are having problems posting a comment! Lovely garden.
    r

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful garden. I love alstromeria for cut flowers. I always pick them up when available at the super market. They are so long lasting. Everything in our garden is not doing much yet. The daffs are just barely peeking out. Do have a couple of rogue camellias but too cold here yet..Happy Thursday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything is so pretty. Love the alstromeria's and I do need to plant some. My roses are going crazy with lots of blooms.

    I didn't plant to much last year as with the water restrictions I knew they would not last long.

    My camellias are also going crazy too.

    Have a wonderful week, but I am afraid that we are getting more rain - bring it on.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete

If you enjoyed this post and you would like to see more please sign up to be a follower.