Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Taming the Beast

Both my father and my husband were excellent craftsmen. I grew up, and have spent my life around woodworking tools and still today the smell of fresh sawdust brings back memories of well-being and pleasure, but I never actually used them. Now in the past few years since I have been alone, and gone through a kitchen remodel and with the current remodel of the media/library (yes, it is still going on) I have  found that in order to get what I want I have had to face...as scary as it is...The Beast



In my kitchen remodel it was necessary to add all of the new window moldings, trims and the shelve under the bay window, but in the current remodel I only wanted to add new edgings to the bookcase shelves and to 'beef up' the doors. I am also lucky enough have this wonderful nail gun, (a delight to use once you get the compressor into the house via Chris who helps me occasionally in the garden ~ it is very heavy! especially for a 110 pound woman) that makes attaching anything a breeze.

I picked out two different types of trim, one with robe detailing for the shelves and another for the doors.


The doors already have trim but by adding it on the outside edge it will really help to add bulk, architectural interest and much, much cheaper than buying new doors. Today I cut, and installed all of the trim on the shelves and tomorrow I will start on the doors, a bit more difficult because of matching the mitre cuts.But I made it though the day with all of my digits and now...



                           ....I really feel that once again, pardon my pun, I have cut the beast back to size.
                                             (I do however set the line on using the table saw!)

                                
             
Stay tuned for the photos of the finished project, if you are patient it will eventually be completed and ready to share. How about you...have you tamed any beasts lately?



26 comments:

  1. Oh my, you're quite the handy woman. My garage is plumb full of tools like those since my husband is a remodeler. Luckily, I don't have to do too much with them, but lately I've had plenty of painting projects :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so impressed. I have gotten brave enough to try out any of Chris's power tools. Now that the weather is starting to break, he'll be busy working on the interior of the tree house. I really should learn how to use his tools.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sewing machine!! Still working on that one!

    Can't wait to see what you have done!

    Lou Cinda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used a drill a few weeks ago, but like you my father was working wood so i am used to this sort of beasts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. TOOLS!!! I LOVE MY TOOLS!!! I have my own nail gun . I have a blast using it. I have used the saws when we were working on the bedroom. Hubbie fixed my own tool set for me. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am impressed. Those power tools are intimidating, and you just went for it! You should be very proud of yourself. I know that I am proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would certainly hurt myself trying to use power tools. The only beasts I handle are blenders and food processors and occasionally, I'll mow the lawn when my husband doesn't have time.

    You are brave! Good luck with your latest projects.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Adrienne! My husband is a contractor, so his crew use all of the big power tools. Unfortunately, being the wife of a contractor is a bit like being the wife of a cobbler ~ the kids have no shoes. Maybe I should learn to tame the beast too! I admire your nerve!!

    Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tools like those scare me...be careful Adrienne.
    Bravo for you to tame the beast!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I use all the power tools except for the router. The scary deadly router. It is more than a beast. It is a monster.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Qui in Italia si dice:impara l'arte e mettila da parte. Sicuramente saprai adoperare le bestie,magari solo perchè hai guardato come faceva tuo padre e tuo marito. Complimenti sei proprio coraggiosa ...e non vedo l'ora di vedere i tuoi lavori finiti.UN GROSSO BACIO. Ornella

    ReplyDelete
  12. You ARE the woman...Your skills never cease to amaze me!

    The smell of cut wood always reminds me of my dad and grandfather...Sometimes I have been the blessed recipient of their endeavors.

    Best wishes on your remodel,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Women and power tools rock...and you don't have to explain yourself to someone else! You just do it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow you are brave indeed!! but that looks like a wonderful project can't wait to see the end result~ I have a little award for you over at my blog ~have a Fantastic Day ~Love Heather

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't think I would ever be able to do this! Can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on conquering the beast! And I super excited to see what your hard work looks like :0)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've just bumbed into your blog and I'm happy it happened. I've given I look and I must say it's very interesting! By the way, great way for taming a beast!
    Rosanna, an Italian-American who has been living in Italy for years.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't know what makes me more jealous...your nail gun or the fact that you weigh 110 lbs.! Thanks for visiting my blog...I have followed you back to yours. Nice to meet you! ~Ann

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nope! Tamed no beasts. But I'm mighty impressed with YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so impressed! I wish I was so brave.

    Ann-Marie

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh my god!!! you are completely my hero!!! I thought I would never ever could cope with these scary machines but now, inspired by you, I will have to look for them in order to simplify everything I do at home, thanks so, so much!!!!
    You are a great inspiration to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    hugs my dear Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love power tools! I haven't learned to use either of these yet though.

    I adore your great headboard that you repurposed. Your images are so pretty. Glad I hopped on over to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the trim you are adding to your cabinets! What a wonderful way to have something new without the expense. I'd love to add some trims to several things in my home but they must wait in line - wait their turn!
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ahhhhh, but the table saw is a girl's best friend!! You can cut all of the mitre cuts as well as using the saw for a bajillion other apps!!..... and then you need to play with the band saw and drill press. You can even use the drill press to make marking jigs for wooden decorative "thingys" and trims! or...to drill a dish to make a bird feeder...cups and saucers to make a lamp....
    Have a ball with tools...just remember to measure twice/cut once, and be sure to wear your eye protection!!
    Blessings,
    J

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ahhhhh, but the table saw is a girl's best friend!! You can cut all of the mitre cuts as well as using the saw for a bajillion other apps!!..... and then you need to play with the band saw and drill press. You can even use the drill press to make marking jigs for wooden decorative "thingys" and trims! or...to drill a dish to make a bird feeder...cups and saucers to make a lamp....
    Have a ball with tools...just remember to measure twice/cut once, and be sure to wear your eye protection!!
    Blessings,
    J

    ReplyDelete

If you enjoyed this post and you would like to see more please sign up to be a follower.