Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Spring surprises ~

Fall is one of my favorite times in the garden, the roses have a new flush of bloom and in our temperate climate it is also an excellent time to plant many things including perennials, winter annuals, winter vegetables, and bulbs!
 
Here is a sample of the bulb selections I have made for this year. These bulbs do not need winter chilling so they do very well for us and come back year after year, popping up in the most surprising manner; I never can seem to exactly remember where I planted them.




I can hardly wait to walk out into the garden this spring and see the lilies blooming, but daffodils, iris ( who could resist an iris called Cherubs Smile) and the dainty leucojum are wonderful too. And what about the sweetness of freesias.

 
I have a feeling that tomorrow is going to be a very busy day!

 

Are you planning any spring surprises in your garden?
 
This post has been linked to: http://ivyandelephants.blogspot.com/

10 comments:

  1. I have several packages of snowdrops waiting to be planted. My dream is that they will multiply and naturalize so I plant a few more each fall. Your choices are deer proof....just curious if you have a deer problem like we have here in our city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No deer, thank goodness, but we do have raccoons, squirrels, opossums, and the occasional coyote. No, I plant these because of our warm winters.

      Delete
  2. wow I completely forgot about bulbs I have a front flower bed that I am going to clear out I have some wonderful composted horse manure and I want to pull everything and redo it. I would love to plant bulbs I am going to do this for sure. Do you have any bulb tips?? ~Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the same bulbs I picked would work well for you. Have fun!

      Delete
  3. Yes, I have some bulbs to plant - tulips - pretty double yellow ones and I want to get some more iris as the @#%$%#$@ gardeners pulled up some of mine. Have fun - the weather is nice and warm.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you will be VERY busy!!! I am planning to plant daffodils in the front and tulips in the back (because of the deer). The tulip bulbs are chilling in the fridge at the moment, I will plant them in November.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy planting! I'm so excited for you. We have bags of bulbs to plant. I hope our squirrels leave them alone this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. and so darn much fun too Adrienne!!! Spring will be gorgeous in your garden! I LOVE your Autumn banner!!!!SO beautiful!
    hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You've got your work cut out for you! But the fruits of your labor will be well paid. Thanks for commenting on my fall post. ~Zuni

    ReplyDelete

If you enjoyed this post and you would like to see more please sign up to be a follower.