Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Summer color ~ Dahlias

With all of my computer problems it has been so long since I have posted that I almost forgot how to put up a post!  

Although the drought continues, so far this has been a rather moderate July in Southern California, with temperatures in the high eighties and low nineties, last week we even had a bit of rain. All this does help in water usage. So far I have managed to stay within the mandatory, for my water district, 24% reduction range.

As far as the Dahlias below...they haven't noticed the difference and have done quite well this year.




I always wanted a place to plant a row of Dahlias and when I redid the area below my deck it gave me the perfect spot. This spring I added more tubers, this is one of the new ones.


I really think this is my favorite I love the pink and yellow coloration of the flowers. Alas, I didn't take note of the name when I planted them, now I wish I had.


I have been cutting some to bring into the house, but I haven't found a way to keep them lasting very long as cut flowers, if any of you have any tips on the best way to do this I would appreciate knowing about it.

Meanwhile, they add much beauty and color to the summer garden.


I hope your summer is going well. It is good to be back blogging again.

PS I am thinking of replacing my current computer with a Mac desktop I have always used a PC and have some concern about changing over to the Mac has anyone done this and  if so did you find it difficult? 


9 comments:

  1. I just recently had my computer crash on me, but was able to have it fixed, so I know what you mean about computer trouble. I love your flowers they are so pretty. We are having too much rain here and our garden is not doing well. Who would of thought that too much rain could be as bad as too little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how beautiful these dahlias are Adrienne! I love this color!!! Gorgeous photos of them too! From the photos, one would never guess there was a drought. We too have been so lucky with our short water year. The only thing I am noticing, is that the insects are worse this year here. I don't no if it it because the plants are lacking water or if it's just the year for bugs.

    Good luck with your changeover on computers :)))
    sending hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE my Mac laptop...it's so user friendly and if you have a technical savvy person transfer all your stuff to your new machine you'll be up and running in no time!
    I love Dahlias but have never grown them...your looks so healthy and robust!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I switched from a PC to a MacBook Air laptop! Best move I ever made! They are wonderful! Love your gorgeous flowers. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dahlias are beautiful! I would like to plant some here in MN, but need to find out if it's too late to do so.
    I don't know anything about Mac.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I switched from a PC to an Apple (the Mac Book Air, 13 inch) a few months ago, and I'm glad I did. The document transfer has been somewhat problematic, though, as I got various pieces of intel on how it should/can be done at the Apple store. I ended up using DropBox, which required installing that program on both old and new computers. The document problem not withstanding, I like the Apple very much. Note that I'm not particularly "techie" and have been known to call my brother-in-law on the opposite coast to bail me out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. At the Apple store as part of their $100.00 free tutorial and first year service plan they have told me that they would do the data migration and the set-up. I already have all of my data on a portable harddrive. But before I commit I will speak to them again. Glad to hear that you like it, everyone that has one seems to love them. I will be getting the 21.5 inch desktop.

      Delete
  7. Your dahlias look amazing! They are such beautiful flowers - I don't have any since I don't seem to be able to handle them very well. But I enjoy yours very much.

    ReplyDelete

If you enjoyed this post and you would like to see more please sign up to be a follower.