Thursday, August 11, 2011

Tools of the Trade ~ Sewing



I thought it might be interesting to start a new series of occasional posts called Tools of the Trade, on the innate beauty of objects connected with everyday activities. The first subject I picked was Sewing. I also thought that it would be fun to use these posts to experiment with different kinds of photo editing techniques. I started out thinking that the following photos would all look best in sepia, as you can see that didn't work out, maybe next time. Instead on most of the pictures I used Cross Process, it gave them just the touch of age that I wanted.

Sewing has been a big part of my life ever since I made...or I should say, 'ill-made' my first dress in the eighth grade; for some reason I picked out plaid fabric, I shudder now to think how it must have looked, all of that mismatched plaid! But I gradually improved and throughout the years being able to sew has not only provided me with clothing at a reasonable price and, very important: clothing that fit, but also allowed me to decorate my home with draperies, pillows, and other accouterments that I never could have afforded to have custom made.

This was my Aunt Lolly's sewing machine, it was a graduation gift from her parents, she sewing with it, and only it, for her entire life. The clothing that she made was exceptional and her craftsmanship was superb. I don't sew with it, but I keep it in my workroom to remind me of her.


Lolly's sewing machine, circa early twentieth Century
 


My Grandmother's iron and one of my Grandfather's tailoring aids

Does any one that sews ever have the right colored thread?


one of my antique pin cushions



Doing this post was a lot of fun and I hope that you enjoyed seeing it as much as I enjoyed doing it. Now what will be next...maybe kitchen gadgets, or gardening tools...hmmm....





This post has been linked to: http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/, http://tearosehome.blogspot.com/, http://thecharmofhome.blogspot.com/

21 comments:

  1. I have always felt very fortunate that I had a mother who taught me how to sew! Without it, I would never have been able to afford most of my home decorating. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first (and last) sewing project was in 8th grade also! A horrible smock top that sat crookedly on my small frame. My mother was an expert seamstress. Apparently, I did not inherit her skills. Great photos that made for a sweet trip down memory lane. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love your gorgeous snaps! I have my grandmother's old Singer. My mom had it and I learned to sew on it!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all your photos, Adrienne. That old Singer sewing machine reminds me of my grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the new header! And I so enjoy seeing the old sewing machines. Love mine.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this series Adrienne!! You are such a wonderful photographer, you can make everyday items look amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful set of photos. I wish I could sew. My mother is so talented. I just wished I would have inherited those genes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love this post! So funny I have a "tools of the trade" post drafted with all the tools I use related to my sewing!! I also have one of those old vintage sewing machines which I use in my decor. Thanks for stopping by my blog:-)
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a wonderfully styled post, Adrienne! The love shows through. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice photos...I especially like the iron shot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love sewing, and if I could keep my sewing area looking like this, I'd do a lot more of it. As it is, it always devolves into a huge mess, complete with 'lost' pins in the carpet!
    Great idea for a series of posts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful photos, Adrienne. I love that old machine. Just think of all the great things that have been made with it. I'm not much for sewing, but I do a little bit now and then if I have to :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I really wished that I had listened to my mom and grandmother and learned to sew from them. They made many of my clothes when I was a little girl and teen. At least I can sew on a button and do decent repair jobs!

    Thanks for sharing all your sewing treasures...
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it's wonderful that you have so many "inherited" treasures. I have very little from my grandparents and great-grandparents. But I treasure what I DO have. I love the vintage pin cushion, by the way.

    Thanks for linking to the party, Adrienne.

    Hugs,
    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Room Service ~ Decorating 101August 14, 2011 at 3:51 PM

    You took some beautiful photos. I would love to know how to sew. Enjoyed them... YES !

    ReplyDelete
  16. so beautiful! My husband's grandmother gave me her MIL's sewing machine like this one. She used it her whole married life!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sewing is such essential skill in home keeping. I am glad to see people still sewing. Thanks for linking it up Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love to sew as well, although my mother didn't teach me. Your photos are lovely as always. Makes me want to go sew something. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful photos~ Thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wish I had my grandmother's old Singer sewing machine- it had the treadle and it always fascinated me as a kid! I learned to sew when I was in the fourth grade and made many of my clothes all through school. Loved seeing your vintage iron, too. We used one as a doorstop when I was growing up- it was so heavy! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  21. this is a great entry, love the photos, they provide so much information. nice.

    ReplyDelete

If you enjoyed this post and you would like to see more please sign up to be a follower.